Popular Posts

Saturday, April 23, 2011

"HAPPY EASTER!"


Today is Easter Sunday. I'm sure that the baskets have been filled with goodies and colored eggs, that "Easter" grass is half in and half out of the baskets [you find that stuff months later everywhere!] and that all of you somewhere will be sitting down to dinner. But if you live in another part of the world, Easter is already over and it's Monday somewhere.

Easter is a time for dressing up in one's finery: Always has been a ritual and always will be. There were so many times as a young girl that I hated what was chosen for me to wear but there were also times later on, when I was so grateful and felt "glammed up." I will never forget buying my sons their first suits for Easter: Both of them had tan suits, new white shirts and little ties. Still have the picture of them and it seems like it was an eternity ago--but it wasn't that long was it?

Easter eggs are a symbol of rebirth for that is the true meaning of this day.
Take time to reflect upon your celebrations of Easter in the past: I do and have such great memories. My now grown sons loved looking for their baskets but had more fun at my mom's apartment for she hid "nests of Easter grass" under chairs, her draperies and elsewhere. She had a lot more nerve than I did in relation to that "grass" that didn't seem to scatter in her place; it did in my house! And there was always the yearly egg hunt! Could count hundreds of cracked colored eggs that were found and never eaten by anyone or anything. They just sat around in their mishapen form till they were discarded.

Last year was the first time ever that I didn't color eggs: Just wasn't in the mood for my three grandchildren are getting older-[one is sixteen, one is thirteen and one is eleven] and they weren't in the mood to color eggs either. I'm not doing it this year either but I may break down and color some if the mood happens to strike me. Rest assured that I will fix deviled eggs, ham, sweet potatoes, green beans and macaroni salad: That has always been our traditional Easter dinner and always will be.

Blessings to you on this day.

Sherry Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment