Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

“MOURNING DOVES DESPERATE FOR WINTER FOOD”


Several years ago, we had a horrible winter that dragged on forever. Aside from taking care of my pets and myself, I would go outside every frigid morning and put out birdseed in the snowy yard. Naturally I didn’t linger out there but more like threw the birdseed and bread crumbs out as fast as I could and rush back into the warmth of the house. Upon entering my house, as usual I would do some things and then peer out the window to see what birds or critters would find the food in the piled up snow. I saw the frequent squirrels, little birds and then they seemed to either run or fly off in a split second. It was that cold.
As I turned away from the window, I decided to take one more glance to see if any other birds would find the food. Lo and behold, two mourning doves were out in the deep snow but on the other side of the food. They were frantic in looking for birdseed and kept going around in the same area. I wanted to scream “The food is over there! You’re not looking.”
Absolutely impossible to run out and tell them that and so, I kept hoping they would look over to the side. But they didn’t and left hungry. And then it struck me how much we are like these particular mourning doves when it comes to needing or getting help from God. We get narrow-minded and have tunnel vision in focusing on what is right in front of us and forget to look around or up. Most of all, we forget that God is everywhere and not in just one place.
In Matthew 7:7 it is written: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”
The parallel is obvious between the mourning doves and people. Look around, look up, look aside and it will be there. Just don’t look in one place. Even if what we are seeking is covered up, it is still there waiting for us. And it is up to us to find it for God said it.
Sherry Hill.
Published in The Sunday Gazette Mail.


Copyright © 2014
Sherry Hill
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment