Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"TOMATOES"

Right now in my state, tomatoes are out in full force. They're huge, available and taste real--not like the kind you buy at the store in winter. I'll admit it: I am a tomato addict. Could probably eat one every day or something made with tomatoes. And usually I do. 

But there is a downside to eating too many tomatoes. You can get canker sores on your mouth as I found out and those are not fun in any way, shape or form. So what to do? Abstain from tomatoes for several days or meals that are made with them and no more canker sores.

I read that taking a multiple vitamin every day aids in not getting canker sores. It does because I tried it and do it now every day.

The good side of tomatoes is too long to list! Oh there is nothing like eating fried green tomatoes--they make your mouth pucker. That's how great they are. And then there is a BLT and of course it has to have tomatoes on it or it's not any good. The forever lover of spaghetti here or any Italian dish that requires tomatoes as an ingredient is always at the top of my list. 

When I was little, I'd eat a sliced tomato sandwich with mayonnaise on it and salt. It was heaven. Still is if you get a great tomato. And what would a salad be without tomatoes in it? Blah that's what it would be.

I hope wherever you live that you are enjoying fresh tomatoes while you can for there is nothing as great as a ripe fresh one--or make that a basket full of them. They're full of vitamins, are good for you and can be eaten as is with little or no prep time. Just don't eat a lot every day. There's that payback remember?

Sherry Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment