Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"STAY COOL THIS WEEK"



The heat is upon us here and personally, I don’t like it at all. There was a time when I lived for blistering hot days; in fact, I thrived on them. Spent too much time taking sunbaths or being at the pool. Now the pool was wonderful but it closed about ten years ago:  It was a private pool that just about everyone in my neighborhood attended. Miss it.

But I don’t miss lying out in the 90 degree temperatures either. In fact, now when I’m outside and it’s hot and humid, it makes me sick. It has to be an age thing for about ten years ago, it didn’t affect me.

Three years ago, I had on a dark short sleeved top and dark pants when I decided to go outside about 11:00 in the morning to trim hedges. Had no idea that it was extremely hot till the water poured down my forehead into my eyes and they stung. Hobbling back around my house and up to the front door, I ran inside to the air conditioning and it took forever to get cool. In fact, it took about three days. Mini heat stroke was what happened to me.

After that experience, I will never do anything so stupid as that again ever in my life. Here where I live the humidity in the summers plus a high temperature equals bad news. It just zaps the life out of you. No, I didn’t think that would happen to me as I stated before but I started thinking about how women must have coped long ago in the heat. Can you imagine having to wear all those long slips and crinolines along with a long sleeved dress? No wonder people had fainting couches in their houses. Women fainted! Men probably did too.

And so I will go outside early in the mornings or late in the evenings when it’s scorching hot outside but not during the day—unless I’m in my car with the air conditioner running full blast. Can’t take the heat. Can you?


Sherry Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment