Popular Posts

Sunday, March 10, 2013

"DON'T LIKE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME ANYMORE"

When I was little, I loved daylight savings time--not in the winter but summer was fantastic. Loved playing outside and although it was late, it was still daylight. The older I become, the less I like it. In fact, guess you could say I loathe it. Who likes dark at 5 in the evenings in winter? Not me nor many of my friends. And this morning, we had to set our clocks ahead one hour. Sure does mess with our internal clocks that we have out of kilter now.

Maybe you don't have daylight savings time where you live and count yourself lucky.

It was started here in the US by the government during WWII to give farmers an extra hour of daylight so that they could get more work done. Well, the war has long been over. I read on twitter that the government is considering doing away with daylight savings time. I wish they would. My late mom used to say "I don't like people messing with my time." Now I understand what she meant for I don't either.

It takes weeks to get used to "springing ahead" one hour. Remember in my classroom that not only was I out of whack that first Monday after the clocks had to be set ahead but so were my students. All of us were in a semi-coma. Who likes to feel like that? And it takes weeks to get used to it.

Animals don't have to worry for they have their own internal clocks--animals in the wild that is. Domesticated animals on the other hand have problems for they are fed at specific times and that means that the owners have to be on schedule. My dog and cat are already chomping at the bit to be fed and I know that I will be late in feeding them. Not with it yet.

Good luck tomorrow at your job. I'm sure that a lot of people will be late or miss an appointment; may even miss getting to work on time. As for me, I loathe daylight savings time. Time should be left alone and not manipulated by man--it already is manipulated enough as it is. Can you or I do anything about it? Doubtful. Meanwhile, you will probably feel like the woman in the picture. Don't forget to "spring forward" if you live in the US. And give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to it. It takes that long.

Sherry Hill
*Photo from someecards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment