Popular Posts

Sunday, October 29, 2017

AN ACT OF KINDNESS WAS PAID BACK BY ANOTHER



This past Friday I stopped by a car wash as I had promised a man that I would give him a yearbook—not mine but one I bought at a thrift store three years ago. My reason for buying it in the first place was that it didn’t cost much at all and second, someone might need it. My stopping came from a prior conversation for I thought he had been a past student of mine but found out he had grown up in a different area here –that’s when I told him about the yearbook and said I’d gladly give it to him.

He had done a fantastic job washing and cleaning my car and I said I’d gladly bring it to him on Wednesday. Wednesday came and went as did Thursday but Friday, I grabbed the yearbook on my way out and headed for the car wash; as I approached, he saw my car and I pulled in and handed him the yearbook.

He was thrilled beyond words because he had not gotten his own for his senior year, and I was thrilled for him to have that yearbook. I told him I didn’t want any thanks: Fate had done its job. Off I went headed for the grocery store smiling at what had just taken place.

As usual, the store parking lot was full which meant my driving around and around to find a parking place which I finally did and walked inside the store. On my mind were three things to buy but as it happens, I had my grocery cart loaded with this and that; found a lane open that had one person in front of me and it wasn’t long before the cashier was checking me out.

I asked if there was anyone bagging groceries and the clerk said that there wasn’t anyone when all of a sudden a tall man with an orange shirt came up to where the groceries were ready to be bagged and started bagging them for me. Again I asked another question and that was “Does he work here?” The clerk replied “I’ve never seen him in my life and no, he doesn’t.” That man was all business as he put my groceries carefully into bags and said “There you are; all done!” I looked at him and not only thanked him but told him he was an angel. “Not really” he replied but I came back saying “Oh yes you are.”

What a wonderful thing for a stranger to do that for someone and that someone was a grateful me. On the way to the car, I thought about the two things that had happened that afternoon: I gave someone a gift because I simply wanted to do it, and in return, a stranger gave me the ultimate gift of help and kindness. There aren’t many days like that but when they occur take time to realize how rare and wonderful they are.  Kind human nature does exist even if the world is haywire—in fact, it happens more than you’d think and I saw it that day: I was a giver and a receiver and three people were happy.

Sherry Hill
© Sherry Hill
Copyright 2017

All Rights Reserved


*Photo from Microsoft Word

No comments:

Post a Comment